Good Samaritan Ministries has the privilege and honor to welcome interns’ year round. Our interns range from college students who desire to gain experience and pursue work in serving the community, to individuals that are interested in learning and utilizing their skills for a great cause. With possibilities to intern in a varieties of areas, (Social work, Programs, Media, Marketing, and more) we believe in empowering the next generation to use their gifts and also serve the community!
We were excited to have Chelsie intern with us. She interned in the Programs Department and was able to contribute to the planning and coordination of our yearly programs. We had a chance to talk with her about her internship experience:
1. How did you get involved with Good Samaritan Ministries? (Good Sam) I started as a volunteer in 2015 after hearing the Executive Director, Aaron Murphy’s description of Good Samaritan Ministries. After hearing about Good Sam and their mission to “Share The Love of Jesus Christ”, I knew this is where I would want to be. The following year it was time for me to fulfill my internship requirements for my school and I was blessed with the opportunity to intern with the Programs Department.
2. What are some of the programs that you have been involved in and what role did you play? I have been involved in the Back 2 School, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter programs. I helped with planning the events, inputting and reviewing applications, packing Back 2 School & Christmas boxes, communicating with our church partners and supervising volunteer groups that came to serve. Each program is special in its’ own way and was a blessing to be a part of!
3. What is has been your favorite memory serving at Good Sam? There are many memories I have made here at Good Sam. However, one memory that I will never forget was the day of The Back 2 School Picnic. As the children received their boxes, their smiles alone were a blessing! Another memory that I will never forget was one of our Christmas distribution days. An elderly lady had filled out a gift sheet and wrote that she wanted pots and pans for Christmas. When that woman came to get her box and saw that she got a new set of pots and pans she had tears of joy. It was an overwhelming sight to see!
4. Do you have any advice for someone that wants to intern at Good Sam? I highly recommend Good Samaritan Ministries for anyone looking for an internship. Good Sam not only serves the community by providing food, clothes, showers, help with rent, lights, water, etc. Good Sam shares the love of Jesus Christ to those who may not know how much Jesus really loves them. I see frowns turned to smiles everyday by showing love towards them. I was stretched beyond imagination but I grew in my skills and giftings. Good Sam is a GREAT and LOVING environment!
5. Being a college student can be very time consuming. How do you make time for Good Sam? Good Sam has been great working around my school schedule. They have always respected the fact that I am a college student and that I need time for school work also. I also made sure that nights and weekends were reserved to do my homework.
6. How would you encourage other students to get involved with Good Sam? They can call or email Good Sam about volunteering or internships. The website also has some details. There are a plenty of ways to get involved! I could go on and on about how many times I have been blessed working with Good Sam, and I believe that anyone that got involved would receive the same joy I have!
7. What have you learned the most? As a college student who is still maturing, I have learned that we are living in a world of all types of people searching for answers, comfort, and assistance. Even though we can’t help everyone, we should focus on being obedient to Christ and serving the ONE person in our lives. And through The Love of Jesus Christ we can shed light towards those in need. Interning at Good Sam changed my life and the way that I see broken and impossible situations.
Throughout the duration of the internship Good Sam interns will learn and work through the lens of three areas:
SERVICE- Once a week, interns will serve in an area of the ministry that is outside of their role. Serving in different areas will expose them to Good Sam holistically, and the hope is that through service, it will foster a culture of servant-hood that the interns will carry beyond their time Good Sam .
TEACHING-Interns will receive teaching on community development and effective ways to reach the homeless.
EMPOWERMENT- With the guidance and oversight of Good Sam,Interns will be responsible for at least one project for their duration of their internship.
WE LOVE INTERNS! If you’re interested in interning with us, connect with us to see which internships are available and apply!